Tomorrow marks a pretty special day for me. If you haven’t already guessed from the title then well tomorrow is my sixth year of blogging. Six years ago I stumbled across WordPress for reasons I cannot remember but I happened to set up an account and the rest is history I guess as I sit here typing on the same blog six years later. At the time, I was barely in my teens and with a strong interest for fashion I loved the feeling of having my own little online magazine (what I thought of it anyway!) and whilst I wasn’t the most dedicated blogger at that time it was still a pride possession of mine.
Now in 2016, as I leave my teenage years behind, my blog has evolved a lot since I first started. I completely re-branded my blog last year and also bought my own domain, passions and interests have also changed as I developed a strong love for beauty which now holds as the prime topic covered on my blog. If you told me in 2010 that I would be splurging on luxury beauty products I probably would’ve laughed it off, I would’ve felt the same if I got told I would have a proper blog schedule! It is safe to say my blog has changed dramatically and for many of my regular readers it may come as a surprise that I have been sitting behind this blog for six whole years. It feels insane to be saying that! For the first few years though I never blogged regularly at all so you were lucky to see a monthly post from me, oh how times have changed!
Anyway I thought I would reflect on my time blogging and talk about what I have learnt from being a blogger and also a little look at some of my posts through the years!
What I have learnt:
- The Internet isn’t as scary as you think – This is a pretty important one especially with blogging. I think we all have this image of online bullying and nastiness online when it comes to online communities etc although with blogging it couldn’t have been any different. It is so nice to be within a community of such lovely people who all share common interests. When it comes to blogging there is so many people in the same boat and it is just a lovely place to communicate with others. Thanks to all the lovely bloggers out there for all your support and being so lovely!
- Blogging takes time – Blogging seems easy from the outside but it really isn’t. It takes time to grow your blog and find your style. It also requires time and dedication which is never easy when blogging isn’t your job. There is a lot to it with writing posts, promoting on social media, responding to comments/emails, photography etc although in the end it does feel worth it!
- Comparison really is the thief of joy – I think everyone compares themselves to others in some kind of way especially when it comes to blogging. I love reading blogs and I discover so many amazing creative online spaces that sometimes make me unappreciative towards my own. It is important to take pride in your own work and remember everyone is different. The best thing about other blogs is that they can simply inspire you to feel motivated and enthusiastic about blogging!
- It’s okay to be yourself – Following on from the last point, I think blogging teaches you a lot about yourself. Just looking back at my six years of blogging I have also changed as a person by developing new interests and opinions. I think sometimes we try to adopt to social norms by doing things and acting how others would accept although your life, your rules, right? Having a blog has allowed me to really be myself by for once by focusing on my real interests in life. There is no point in trying to be someone you’re not.
Reflecting on old posts..
- My first ever blog post – short and sweet!
- A little designer dupe – & bad editing!
- A coat edit – featuring what looks like a pre-fame Cara Delevingne?
- Flashback to the Royal Wedding 2011
- Wedding attire inspo
- Pastels for Spring – get inspired from my 2012 post for the season ahead!
- Edible fashion?
- My second blog anniversary and 100 posts!
- Yummy Sprinkles on a stick recipe!
- A fashion week roundup – one of many fashion week related posts!
- My first haul post! – and obviously not the last!
- My Portugal vacation diary
- Trying out Topshop lipsticks – My most viewed post ever! (with the worst swatches!)
- The original UD Naked palette review and swatches – my first proper eyeshadow palette!
- My first edition of my monthly favourites post!
- Tips for staying organised – useful guide I could do with just now!
- Makeup tips for glasses wearers – one of my favourite ever posts!
- A fun makeup tag!
- My Spring edit from last year – all ready for next season!
- Lastly! Another favourite and very relevant post for me, Tips for clearing out your wardrobe!
What have you learnt from blogging?